A Practical Application of Machine Learning

I've got too many concurrent meetings and overlapping initiatives that I generally need to keep track of

I'm sure anyone in any sort of leadership position understands this completely. Sure, we delegate responsibility, but often (especially if you have a heavily matrixed organization) it's impossible to know "which meeting should I attend" or have the individual teams even know "hey I should consult a particular individual about this". To me, this seems like a ripe area to apply deep learning (or even traditional machine learning).

Currently there are a few ways I see people try to solve this:

  • Delegate responsiblity and trust that "everyone knows what they need do"
  • Micromanage and try to attend every meeting in person
  • Overinvite God+Dog to every meeting and "hope" the right people know to show up

These all have a variety of "difficult" problems. Most notably, the amount of information being shared is incomprehensible to a human. Moreover, unless there are clear and discrete boundaries, it can be extremely difficult to organize in a way that limits the amount of inherent "crosstalk".

Having working with Machine Learning and Deep Learning to implement self driving vehicles (take a look at Deep Racer if you want to give it a try). It seems like this problem of "who needs to be in what meeting and when should I schedule it?" might be a great application for AI (particularly deep learning) technology.

Imagine, if you will, a personal assistant that can attend every meeting and listen to the audio, with the intent to try and determine:

  • Are the right people in attendance?
  • Are topics being discussed that need someone else present?
  • Are the topics appropriate for the agenda?
  • Will followups be needed?
  • Where stories/tasks/documentation/code referred to and thus need to be updated?

To me this would be an invaluable lever to optimize time spent in meetings and decrease waste from "unnecessary meeting time". I'm waiting for a startup to try and address this challenge, if you're interested, drop me a line...while I'm not necessarily an AI expert, I can definitely "point you in the right direction" from a product direction perspective and personally feel could help "sell the ever living heck" out of this solution if we could get it to help reduce "meeting madness" at large organizations.

I realize there might be privacy/other concerns that need to be addressed, but a virtual assistant that can help out here would be invaluable, even if to provide suggestions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Push versus pull deployment models

the myth of asynchronous JDBC

Installing virtualbox guest additions on Centos 7 minimal image