I beat ruby on rails by 6 months

Waay back in 2003, I got tired of writing the same boilerplate crud apps and longed for a "better way to do things" so I wrote a rapid development framework called thrust. It used turbine, velocity, and torque to build an entire web application scaffold from an xml database schema definition. I look at the code now and kinda chuckle and shake my head, but something I realized is that it predates the public release of ruby on rails by a good six months. Moreover it predates the closest allegory I can find in the java space (Spring Roo) by a good 6-7 years! I'm not just tooting my own horn, because I remember talking to other people who all said things like "we should just use conventions" and "this stuff is just boilerplate, why don't we generate/template it?", but it seems like most folks just built internal-only proprietary solutions. Couple of lessons/observations: #1 promotion is everything... rails languished in relative obscurity until some folks started evangalizing it. My solution died on the vine as I moved on to bigger and better things. #2 Timing is important, but not MOST important. Being first can be an advantage or a liablilty. Grails got to learn from rails and avoid some of the wonkiness (for example). #3 Some times it's good to go back and look at what you've done for inspiration. I had forgotten about velocity templates...which are pretty useful. I also didn't realize that Maven (arrgh) originated form the Turbine project (which is what my framework was built upon). #4 Great ideas seem to burst on the market in a short period of time and one or two solutions seem to end up dominating. It seems that tech trends infect large numbers of developers simultaneously and then go away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Push versus pull deployment models

the myth of asynchronous JDBC

MACH TEN Addendum: for companies wanting to use MACH platforms